We all know that only uploading a video on YouTube just doesn’t work in this era of competition. An ideal YouTube thumbnail size is necessary to make sure that you can get a perfect response from your audience.
There are many popular YouTubers who are putting up eye-catchy thumbnails even they are famous enough with millions of subscribers.
So, what is up with making a professional looking thumbnail for your video?
Let us tell you one thing. Thumbnail is the only component which impacts on a user. By only looking at a thumbnail, a user can make his mind as of whether to watch this video or not.
To help you in this regard, we have got a complete article, that would not only explain the thumbnail size of your video but will also offer you to make thumbnails free of cost.
So, let’s dive in here without further time wastage;
Ideal YouTube Thumbnail Size for Videos:
As from the Google Support Team, there are some criteria to put up a professional looking thumbnail of your video.
The criteria are:
- The dimensions of an ideal YouTube thumbnail should be 1280 pixels wide and 720 pixels long.
- That being said, the minimum width of a YouTube thumbnail size should be 640 pixels.
- The ideal ratio of your thumbnail should be 16:9 as it is the standard for most of the YouTube previews.
- Accepted files are .JPG, .GIF, .BMP, .PNG only. Any image file other than these formats is not accepted.
- The last thing is the size of a thumbnail. It should not exceed above from 2mb or else YouTube will not upload it.
These are some straightforward facts about an ideal YouTube thumbnail size.
Now, you should have got a basic idea about what should be the dimensions of a perfect thumbnail for your video.
Let’s move towards the next step that would be, how to make a perfect YouTube thumbnail for your video.
How to Make an Ideal YouTube Thumbnail:
There are some key factors that you must take into consideration while making a YouTube thumbnail.
- The main theme of your video must be straightforward and clear.
- If you have got a logo of your channel, it is better to place it in the top right corner.
- Text should be attractive and clearly showing the message.
- Don’t use gibberish text fonts. The most simple ones like Open Sans and Arial Black are recommended.
- Reducing the opacity of background image might add an awesome impression in the thumbnail.
- How to Design a YouTube Thumbnail with Canva:
- 1. Sign Up on Canva.com:
- 2. Creating A Design:
- 3. YouTube Thumbnail Dashboard:
- 4. Creating Thumbnail:
- Uploading Custom Thumbnail on YouTube:
- Some Important Points in Making a Catchy YouTube Thumbnail:
- Mistakes to Avoid in Making a YouTube Thumbnail:
How to Design a YouTube Thumbnail with Canva:
For those people who don’t know it yet, Canva.com is a free website containing a lot of free templates which are going to help you design a perfect thumbnail for your YouTube video.
To learn best about Canva, we are going to show you some easy steps on how to make a perfect YouTube Thumbnail on Canva.
Let’s have a look:
1. Sign Up on Canva.com:
This is the most basic step. After you visit, Canva, it will ask you to sign up. Mention your preferences, in the sign-up box-like first name, last name, email address, and your password etc.
- After you have entered all your credentials, Canva will ask you to confirm your email.
- After the confirmation, you will be asked to log in with your email and the password you have been given.
- Canva dashboard will appear after you are logged into the website.
2. Creating A Design:
Now, that you are done with the signing up process, the next step is to create a thumbnail.
- On Canva, dashboard, there is a prominent box available mentioned as “Create a New Design”. Click on it:
- After you have clicked on it, a new window will pop up on your screen and you will be asked to select, which kind of design you want.
Choose YouTube Thumbnail from this list:
3. YouTube Thumbnail Dashboard:
Right after you click on the YouTube thumbnail button, a new window will open in your browser and there will be a brand new dashboard waiting for you.
4. Creating Thumbnail:
Now, is the time to create a thumbnail. There are both free and paid templates available in the dashboard. Choose any one from the free ones.
- You can also choose paid but it will require some money to access the paid membership.
- Let us create a thumbnail from the scratch.
For example, our title is “Top 10 Office Hacks in 2019”
1. Choosing a Template:
In the image below, we have chosen an attractive template:
2. Editing The Text:
Click on the text on the template and edit it according to your preferences. Right now, our title is Top 10 Office Hacks in 2019, so we will edit it according to the said title;
3. Channel Name or Logo on The Top:
Right after you have made amendments in the text, you can place the channel logo or simply the name of your channel on the top of the template. Take a look at the new image:
4. Changing the Description:
Change the description according to the theme of your video. As our title in on Top 10 Office hacks in 2019, we will take change it as:
5. Changing the Background:
If you are not happy with the background present on the template, follow these simple steps to change the background of your thumbnail on Canva:
- Capture the image you want to place as a background and move it on your desktop.
- From the desktop, click on it and hold it.
- Move it onto the Canva window.
- Drop it on the picture that is already present on the template.
- Adjust the resolution.
The background is now changed.
Canva offers a wide range of tools through which you can not only change the color of a background, you can also change the font of text, its color, and other accessories.
The text editing dashboard will look like this:
7. Saving The Thumbnail:
Now, that all necessary editing is done, the next step is to download the thumbnail.
This is a fairly easy process.
There would be a download tab available on the top right corner of the dashboard. Click on it:
- After you have clicked the tab, there will be options available as either you want it to save in PNG file or JPEG file.
- We will recommend you to go for PNG as it doesn’t require enough space.
- Right after you click on Download, Canva will start preparing your design.
- After 100% completion, a new window will pop up where there would be an option to save the final thumbnail.
- After you have clicked on save, it will be saved in the destination folder.
Bingo, The best YouTube thumbnail is now made as follows:
Editing in Canva is one of the easiest tasks. Try to practice on it regularly to enhance your thumbnail editing skills.
Uploading Custom Thumbnail on YouTube:
Now, that we are done with making a professional looking thumbnail for YouTube, it is the time to upload a custom thumbnail on YouTube.
There would be two possible scenarios in this regard i.e.
- Updating the Already Present Thumbnail on a Video.
- Updating the custom Thumbnail After Video Has been Uploaded.
We are going to talk about both scenarios in details below. So, let’s have a look:
1. Updating Thumbnail on Already Uploaded Videos:
To update your new thumbnail on already uploaded videos on your YouTube channel, follow the simple steps.
Go to The Creator Studio or YouTube Studio Beta if you have upgraded your Channel.
- After the dashboard is shown to you, click the “videos” section.
- In the videos section, click on the video that you want to edit.
The video of that dashboard will seem like this. Go to the Thumbnail Section as shown below:
After you click this tab, there will be already present thumbnails available. When you see at the bottom, there will be a section for custom thumbnail available. Select the Image File in here as shown in the image.
- A new window will pop up asking you to select the file you want from the destination folder.
- Click on the thumbnail you want to upload. In our case, we will upload the sample thumbnail made with Canva.
After saving the thumbnail, the final look of the video will be like this:
That would be it. You have finally updated the thumbnail of your already existing video.
2. Updating Thumbnail While Uploading a Video:
For this purpose, wait for the video to finish uploading.
After the video has been processed. At the bottom, you will see to choose from three different thumbnails as given by YouTube.
There will be another option of uploading a custom thumbnail. Click on it as shown below:
Now, as mentioned above, follow the steps to find your destination file and click on upload. The thumbnail will be selected and uploaded within the video as shown below;
You have now finally updated the custom thumbnail of the video while uploading it.
Some Important Points in Making a Catchy YouTube Thumbnail:
There are some keynotes that should be taken into consideration while you are designing a thumbnail for your video.
They are as follows:
1. Taking Idea From Competitors:
This is the technique that many famous YouTubers use for making awesome thumbnails. You can get an idea from your competitors while making a thumbnail.
2. Background Image:
The background image must represent the idea or main theme of your video. For example, if the main theme of your video is How to Make Beef Burger, you must post an image of already made Beef Burger in your thumbnail.
3. Text Font:
Take great care while you are choosing the text font of your thumbnail. It should not be gibberish and not too messy or closely attached.
- The font should be visible to your audience. Some ideal fonts used for creating thumbnails are Arial, Open Sans, and Times New Roman.
- These fonts are all clear and they give a perfect visualization with a unique touch as well.
4. Contrasting Colors:
Always choose something bright and contrasting to make a perfect YouTube Thumbnail. Try to choose a simple color for your texts as well.
- The contrasting color of a thumbnail attracts a user to click on the video n every possible way.
- Using Black background with Yellow Text Font is a perfect example of contrasting colors.
5. Conciseness is the Key:
Thumbnail should be as clean as possible. Don’t try to overload it with the texts or extra channel logos.
- If people want to see at your title, it is displayed right after the thumbnail.
- Thumbnail should contain only four to five words explaining your video in the best possible way.
- Let us take an example. If the title of the Video is Best Gaming PC Under 500$, you should try to write only Best Gaming PC on your thumbnail to keep it away from overloading.
Mistakes to Avoid in Making a YouTube Thumbnail:
There are some mistakes that many people make while they try to make a good looking thumbnail for their video.
Let’s talk about them so that you can avoid them in the future.
1. Aggressive Clickbaiting:
Clickbait is something that should be used but not too much. Remember that excess of everything is bad.
- It is not possible that your video is about funny babies and you put a picture of a girl on your thumbnail.
- It will make a bad influence on your channel and it can even get suspended if you are doing that on a regular basis as YouTube has got very strict algorithms now.
- So, avoid using aggressive clickbaits to make sure that your channel is safe from a bad reputation.
2. Use of Many Things in Thumbnail:
Loading a thumbnail image with a lot of things is a very bad idea. It negatively impacts a user and he won’t click the video easily.
- Don’t flood your thumbnail with so many things. Only a logo, text of four words and a background is enough to do the work for you.
3. Gibberish Fonts:
This is yet another blunder that many new Youtubers make. They write in such a find which is not understandable with a single sight.
- What’s the point of writing in a stylish font when a user can’t see it?
- So, avoid getting into too many stylish fonts or your thumbnail will be lost its professional touch.
4. Large Font Size:
Many people think that by enlarging the font size, it should be clearly visible to the audience which is true to some extent. But what will happen to the background image and the overall beauty of your thumbnail?
- It will get affected badly if you are using very large font sizes in YouTube thumbnails.
- So, better avoid it.
5. Forgetting to Slip Test:
This is a minor technique but it is very often ignored by many YouTubers.
- To avoid this issue, you must use different thumbnails and check them out for a few days that which one is bragging more views.
- This helps to put a better thumbnail and will maintain your video to a higher extent.
The Final Word:
Using an ideal YouTube thumbnail size means that you are trying your best to grab some views and subscribers from YouTube.
Don’t underestimate the power of a YouTube thumbnail. It is the first thing a user notices while he is searching YouTube.
Making it professional will mean that you are being guaranteed with huge traffic. So, try to practice this skill as much as possible if you are a newbie and are about to start your YouTube journey